The special focus has funds for research visits associated with the program, especially visits to enhance collaborations stemming from the activities associated with the DIMACS/Simons Collaboration on Lower Bounds in Computational Complexity.
Visits can be by individuals or by small groups, and they can be hosted (subject to availability of space and other constraints) at DIMACS/Rutgers, a DIMACS partner location, the Simons Institute (typically limited to small groups during the summer only), or at any other appropriate location that supports new collaborations coming out of the Collaboration on Lower Bounds in Computational Complexity. Collaboration with a local host is not required but is viewed as a plus.
Support for visits can take the form of roundtrip travel reimbursement and/or subsistence for housing and meals. Subsistence is limited to $2500/month and is prorated for shorter visits.
How to Apply:
To be considered for a research visit, applicants should submit a proposed visit plan to the special focus organizing committee. Small groups should submit a single combined proposal.
The proposal should include the following elements whenever possible:
- CV(s) for proposed visitor(s);
- A few words that state the topic or area of the proposed work; (something that could complete the sentence, During my visit, I will carry out research on …)
- A longer description of the planned research and its importance;
- The proposed location and dates of the visit;
- The name of a local host for the visit and an indication of the level of the host’s involvement in the research;
- A statement of what type of financial support (e.g. travel, lodging, or other living expenses) is needed; and
- When the visit stems from previous activities of the DIMACS/Simons Collaboration on Lower Bounds in Computational Complexity, a description of the connection to those activities.
An email with the the subject “DIMACS/Simons Collaboration on Lower Bounds Visitor Application” containing application materials should be sent to the special focus organizing committee at DIMACS_lowerbounds_committee (at) email.rutgers.edu.
Applications will be considered based on the intellectual merit of the proposed research, with additional attention to supporting collaborators who have not previously collaborated.
We encourage visits by junior researchers (students, postdocs, and new assistant professors) and a portion of funds for visitors are set aside for this purpose.